Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Titus woman in my life


Titus 2:3-5
 3 Similarly, teach the older women to live in a way that honors God. They must not slander others or be heavy drinkers.[a] Instead, they should teach others what is good. 4 These older women must train the younger women to love their husbands and their children, 5 to live wisely and be pure, to work in their homes,[b] to do good, and to be submissive to their husbands. Then they will not bring shame on the word of God.

If you were to ask me to describe the one woman who impacted my life the most it would have to be my grandma. The above verses along with a few of the proverbs 31 woman would describe her to a tee- at least to the young impressionable girl who watched her every move and tried to model her life after her. My grandma not only rose before dawn to fix breakfast for my grandpa as well as pack his lunch for work. She made sure the house work was done before he returned home She canned her own vegetables jams and jellies. She didn't drink. And looked for bargains where ever she shopped. Everyone who entered her home felt welcomed as she worked to be hostess.

As I grew up watching this wonderful woman I could feel the love of Jesus in her, she was gentle, patient, calm, selfless. loving sweet and I wanted to be just like her. She was loving and giving to others as well as her husband – making sure he was cared for before she rested. When she passed away I unknowingly became her, as I worked with my family at her wake to be hostess for those who entered her now “emptied “ home. Because without my grandma the house was no longer a home. During the day I was paid a complimented when someone said I reminded them of my grandma as I made sure others were cared for before I was.

Unfortunately she went home way to early in my eyes because there was so much to learn for her and regardless of what I did learn, there was still more she could have taught me. She is missed and remembered each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment